Tuesday, May 1, 2007

We must have a Christian in the Whitehouse

Chuck Baldwin, the 2004 CP Constitution Party Vice-Presidential Candidate, gave a speech the other day which brought up an interesting point that I hadn't really concidered.

So far on my blogs, I haven't really specified that I am a stauch, born-again Christian (I sure hope nobody is surprise though!). Part of my 'party searching' was based on the ideal of having a real Christian in the Whitehouse some day. I felt this was extremely important so that the USA would have a leader willing to take us back to the founding ideals of our constitution.

Mr. Baldwin however, changed my mind. Not that having a Christan man at the helm would be a bad thing, but it isn't necessary for the President to actually be a Christian. In a nutshell, the reason for this is that anyone who holds true to the constitution will be exercising the ideals of Christianity in terms of our governing. Since the founding fathers based the constitution on Christian beliefs and values, anyone who actually upholds those tenants will be following the fundamental Christian beliefs.

This should not alarm non-believers in the least, provided that they share the goals of returning this great nation to its roots, to the idea that all men are created equal and have 'natural-rights' given to them by their very being. These rights include the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. While I believe that these are gifts from the Lord God, one does not necessarily have to believe in God to desire these standards for all American citizens.

Therefore, I have eliminated the "requirement" that the next candidate I will support be a professing Christian, so long as he believes in the principles our founders strived for, and died for, when they established our nation.

No comments: