Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Believe in all party positions?

I sure would like to support a political party that held 100% of my beliefs. The reality however, is that such a party doesn't exist. For the longest time I felt that the Republican party's platform was the closest to my list of beliefs, but over time I have come to realize that what they say is not what they do.

Anyone who knows me would be shocked that I'd switch to the Constitutional party if they only gave a cursory look at the party platform. In this day and age, I think most people's attention would be drawn first to their stand on the Iraq war, and the war on terrorism in general. I'll tell you right now that the Constitution Party is wrong on these points. Their stated position is that we should surrender Iraq and leave. I can't disagree with this stand any more fervently. The war is NOT lost, and it is important that we finish the job we started.

I'm not as convinced as I once was that we needed to invade Iraq, but we did and we can't leave it for the terrorists to take over. Iraq is a strategic piece of real-estate and when we finally come head to head with Iran (which will happen), we'll need our presence in Iraq. I'm more convinced that this was the, if not at least a big part, of the justification to go there in the first place. I don't believe that such a strategy was wrong either. We need to look at the future, and plan for all probably contingencies when it comes to defending our Nation, and ultimately the world.

The current thinking in the Constitution Party is that the US shouldn't be the police of the world. I'd like to think we don't have to be, but the only way that would work is if the rest of the world suddenly became peace loving democracies. The U.S. is the superpower these days and it is our collective responsibility to use the gifts God gave us to assist those under oppression whenever, and wherever, possible. I don't think we should do it alone, but as recent history has proven, there are other nations in the world who believe that freedom is worth fighting for.

So in the end, even though this is a BIG issue, I have to say that while I disagree with the party on the issue of foreign war, I believe that the stand on boarders and national security outweigh the differences regarding Iraq. I have no doubt that the leadership of the party wholeheartedly support all means necessary to secure our freedom and our future. There are many paths to a common goal. Some are better than others, but the reality is, we never really know what the best course of action was, until its long over.

No comments: